THE ROYAL ENGINEERS 1881-1902
UNIFORMS, ARMS & EQUIPMENT - ROYAL ENGINEERS
OFFICER'S FULL DRESS HELMET
In 1856, like their cousins in the Royal Artillery, the Royal Engineers adopted the busby. It was similar in shape and style as the gunners version but with a Garter Blue busby bag instead of red and hanging on the right side . The white horsehair plume was on the left side 6 inches high.
In 1878, along with the infantry and artillery The Royal Engineers were ordered to wear the Home Service pattern helmet.
The Officers’ helmet was of the Infantry pattern, made of cork covered in dark blue cloth in four seams. The peak, front and back stiffened and covered with unseamed blue cloth. The front peak was bound with gilding metal 3/16th ins wide and the back peak with patent leather. The distance from both peaks to the centre of the crown was 10 ½ Ins and 8 ins from side to top. There was a gilt convex bar down the rear of the helmet. The gilt curb chain was attached to two gilt rosettes on the side. A gilt cross piece at the top of the helmet had a 2 ¾ gilt spike screwed into the top. The spike was never replaced by the ball.
THE COCKED HAT
The Royal Engineers had a large number of staff officers. The RE staff wore cocked hats with the RE pattern lace on the loop.
Officers Tunics & Netherwear