The Royal and Imperial Army of Austria-Hungary 1895
By 1895, the armed forces of the dual monarchy of Austria-Hungary had almost completely recovered from its humilating defeats in the 1866 War. It had grown back up to about 450,000 men in the common (Regular) army and about 300,000 in reserves. However, the spending and resources for the armed forces was far below that of Germany, France and Russia. Despite this, the K.u.K Army was still one of the most formidable in Europe. It comprised of 10 ethnic elements including Germans, Hungarians, Czechs, Poles, Ukrainians, Croats, Serbs, Romanians, Slovaks, Slovenes, Italians.
The Army was administratively top heavy with numerous beaurocratic branches and despite a number of technical branches, they were grossly underfunded.
The uniforms of the army in 1895 had long forgotten the old "White Coats" of pre-1866. The Infantry had adopted dark blue in 1867 but retained the plethora of uniquely coloured facings. The cavalry ( Dragoons, Hussars and Lancers) had taken up a basic combination of light blue tunics and madder red trousers. The only major branch to retain its uniform were the Artillery with brown tunics and light blue trousers. Other branches tended to wear a dark green or pike grey tunics with dark trousers.
With little change, this was the army that went to war in 1914 albeit dressed, for the most part, in a practical pike-grey uniform.