CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS
MILITIA & VOLUNTEERS
UNIFORMS, ARMS & EQUIPMENT - ROYAL ENGINEERS
The Formation of the Militia in 1856 did not exclude the Corps of Royal Engineers and the first Militia to be converted was that of Anglesey and Monmouthshire in 1858 and by 1877 the Engineer Militia was established on the same basis as the Artillery. The initial support was for submarine mining units. From 1859, the Volunteer Engineers were formed and distributed along with the Militia
The Uniforms of the Militia were the same as for the regular Royal Engineers. The only indication of that status the letter "M" placed below the rank badges in the same metal as those badges.
The Uniforms of the Volunteers were also the same as for the regular Royal Engineers, with the exception that all lace and buttons were of silver
The first headdress was the Busby, taken into wear in 1861. It had a garter blue bag with a goatskin plume on the left side. The plume holder socket was a silver grenade which bore the Royal Arms engraved on the ball. In 1878, the busby was replaced by the Home Pattern helmet. This had a silver plate of the Royal Arms, with all fittings of silver. Some units continued to wear the Busby until as late as 1885.
Officer's Full Dress tunic was the same as for the regular corps with silver lace replacing the gold. Rank badges on the shoulder cords were gold. The shoulder belt and waist belt was of black patent leather with silver lace stripes. The fittings on the pouch were also of silver.
Officer's Undress also followed the regular Royal Engineers with caps and frocks with silver lace. The Patrol Jacket and blue frock were also worn. The latter with silver buttons.These details also applied to Mess Dress
Uniformsof the rank and file