UNIFORMS, ARMS & EQUIPMENT - ROYAL ARTILLERY
THE ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY 1881-1902
FIELD SERVICE DRESS
FIELD SERVICE CAPS
The Active Service or “Torin” field cap was officially described in the 1883 regulations. It had been worn by officers in India since the mid-1870s. It was 4 ½ inches high with flaps four inches high. Gold French braid welts edged the top and flaps.Curiously, a gold bullion grenade was worn on the front. By 1893 the flaps had been reduced to 3 ½ inches and a Gold bullion grenade with the motto “Ubique” on a scroll beneath, was worn on the left flap. In 1896 the familiar field service cap was introduced. It had a blue body and flaps edged gold for Field and Garrison artillery and scarlet body with blue flaps for the Royal Horse Artillery. The peak was blue edged gold for both. The bullion badge was now worn on the body in front. A black patent leather chin strap was worn for mounted duties.
FIELD SERVICE FROCKS
The Field service frocks also followed the patterns worn by the rest of the army. The first , known as the serge patrol jacket for wear in India, was blue with five buttons in front and had a cloth belt that was secured by a button at the waist. The shoulder straps had two black netted buttons at the top and the cuffs were decorated with black cord trefoils. A bullion grenade was worn on each side of the collar.
A more conventional jacket appeared in 1893 It was pleated on each side in front and rear (like the Norfolk jacket). It had three regimental buttons in front and had a cloth belt that was secured by a button at the waist. The cuffs were plain with a button at the rear and the shoulder straps had two regimental buttons at the top. A bullion grenade was worn on each side of the collar.
In 1898 the now universal serge frock was introduced. It had two patch pockets on the breast and two below the waist, the upper secured by a regimental button. It now had a scarlet collar with bullion grenade and, for the Royal Horse Artillery, shoulder chains were ordered to be worn in 1900.
CLOAKS AND CAPES
The blue cloak and cape, of a pattern consistent with cavalry regiments was worn throughout the period waithout change.
The horse furniture was standard cavalry pattern. The bridle used regimental Martingales on the bits. That of the Royal Horse Artillery is shown, the Field and Garrison units had the same with simply “Royal Artillery” on the garter. No throat plume was used.
The shabracque, carried by the Royal Horse Artillery only, was of light dragoon pattern. It was blue with a wide band of regimental lace all round with scarlet piping on the edges. The device on rear had not changed since Queen Victoria came to the throne. The large Gun, always pointed to the front, was brass. Unlike cavalry regiments there was no Crown and Cypher on the fore corners.
UNIFORMS OF OTHER RANKS