UNIFORMS, ARMS & EQUIPMENT - LANCERS
The 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers
Drum banners were presented to the regiment soon after its reconstitution. At first, befitting a Royal regiment the ground was blue with the central motif of a wreath surrounding a garter with the Irish Harp within and the name of the regiment below. The whole above crossed lances. In the late 1860s the banners’ ground became dark green. The drum banners were carried unchanged until after 1902 when the King Edward crown replaced the Victorian.
The 9th (Queen’s Royal) Lancers
The first Drum Banners, described by Mr. Ebsworth in 1847, were of crimson edged with gold lace. In the centre was the cypher of Queen Adelaide doubled and intertwined with crossed lances with gold pennants behind. They bore three battle honours – PENINSULA, SOBRAON & PUNNIAR. A new pair of banners were purchased in 1869 which are as shown in the illustration, in use during 1881-1902. New banners were acquired in 1904 which added four new battle honours including SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902, which replaced the Afghanistan honour which was placed on the wreath. The Queen Victoria crown remained unchanged until after the Great War.
The 12th (Prince of Wales’s Royal) Lancers
The illustration shows the banners carried from about 1851 with the addition of the battle honour SEBASTOPOL awarded after 1856. After 1902 three more battle honours were awarded including SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902 and which required a reorganizing of those on the wreath. With those changes, the banners remained the same until the 1920s.
OF THE 16TH, 17TH & 21ST LANCERS