Like their counterparts in the other cavalry branches, the main form of undress headwear was the pill box cap. (Officially described as the “Round Forage Cap without peak). For most of the regiments, the cap was blue with a worsted yellow band, button and quatrefoil figure on the top. The crown was also edged in yellow. The 11th Hussars had a crimson cap and the 15th Hussars a scarlet cap. Both had yellow bands and buttons, but no figuring or edging on the crown. The 13th Hussars had a white band, button and figuring. The cap was fitted with a thin black leather chinstrap fixed inside the rim.
All warrant officers, 1st & 2nd class sergeants and sergeants wore the same gold banded cap as officers, except that sergeants had only the quatrefoil figure on the top.
The 1878 pattern folding field caps worn by officers for “Active service and peace manouevres” were generally adopted by Warrant Officers and some sergeants mostly without badges but piped on the top and flaps in gold lace. The caps were not worn by the rank and file domestically until the late 1880s and then mostly for stable and barrack duties. They were never worn with the stable jacket. The rank and file caps were plain blue (Crimson for the 11th and scarlet for the 15th).
The 1896 pattern folding cap was general issue throughout the army. Again, for hussars in the colours previously worn except that the 13th Hussars cap had a white body and blue flaps. WOs and Sergeants had gold piping on the flaps only. Badges were worn on the caps from about 1898. In 1898 All hussar regiments except the 11th and 13th were ordered to wear scarlet field service caps.
It should also be noted and it is photographically documented that in full marching order the dress was the busby, without plume with the full dress tunic and full equipment.